Nowadays short urls have become necessary and a good url shortener a priority.
If you are a frequent Twitterer or other social networks user you should know what tiny urls are and how to get them. Think for example at how it could be annoying to send a long url including often a lot of parameters through a SMS … it could seem a neverending job. Moreover a long URL is prone to mistyping or misunderstanding.
A URL shortener is a Web site that will create a short Uniform Resource Locator (URL) or Web page address from a long one so that the short version, which is easier to remember and enter, can be used instead. Short URLs, often referred to as tiny urls, are basically shortcut for long URLs. Each tiny URL is mapped to a long URL. When a person visit the tiny URL, she will be redirected to the original long URL. By going to a free Web site service like TinyURL.com or AS.VG, you can swap your long URL for a short one. The URL shortening service will maintain the association between the two and will redirect anyone who enters the short URL to the page at the long URL.
Short URLs are used for:
- Forum posts, blogs, emails, IMs where long URLs may be wrapped or broken
- Twitter, SMS, IM status where there are limited number of characters
- Hiding original URL of affiliate links
- Obscuring your real email address from spy bots and email harvesters
Some of the features of AS.VG are:
- it is one of, if not, the shortest URL shortening service on the web, with its 4 characters length
- it is free and easy to use
- URLs shortened by AS.VG never expire